2019年10月25日金曜日

I never would have thought it was possible

7c-06 Responding to surprising news (not bad news, not happy news)

I never would've thought it was possible.
             (ウドゥヴ ソート)

Resources
wasがよく省略される
He won the competition? I would't have thought it possible

Who would have thought he'd do it so quickly?
(誰が思った?彼がそんなに素早くするだなんて)

a:It turns out that Greg wasn't playing video games all the time. He was setting up his own Internet company.
b:Yeah? Who would have thought.

When was the last time someone surprising you with an achievement?
(最後に誰が驚いたのはいつ?あなたの達成を)
 achievement n)達成、成果、業績、努力して成し遂げる事 アチーヴメント

A:Pete's finally done it.
B:What?
A:Asked Mila out.
B:You're kidding. I never would have thought it was possible. He's so shy.
A:Right. Apparently, he did it by email. She said yes, though.
B:Really? I don't think I would say yes if a guy asked me out by email.

ask someone out   「someoneをデートに誘う」
ask someone out to a party
ask someone out to dinner

though 文末にくる though はカジュアルな副詞 butに言い換えられる
「~だけどね」「でも」「しかし」の意味

Statement n)平叙文、声明、申し立て スイトメント
I never would have thought that he could get so rich.
I would never have expected her to run for president. 
run for...  ...に出馬する、立候補する、選挙に出る

Rhetorical question  修辞疑問文(誇張の多い)リトォリカル
(ex   Who knows?  だれが知るだろうか⇒だれも知らない)
Who would have thought she could eat all these cakes?
Who would have expected him to move there?

Listening
Number 1
I never would have thought he had the confidence to do something like that. I didn't even know he had been practicing. Then, suddenly, a major record deal!

Number 2
Who would have thought she could do it so quickly? I mean, it usually takes three or four years, right? But to do it in just two, and in a difficult subject like psychology, is amazing.

Number 3
I never would have thought he could do it. He's the kind of person who never takes risks, so when he showed me the pictures, I was just like "Wow" I mean, I could never do it. I get dizzy just standing on a chair.

Number 4
I would never have expected Charles to win anything. He's not really a very lucky person. Just the other week someone drove into the back of his car and took his wallet. And this is the first time for him to buy a ticket. Who would have thought?

psychology n)心理学 サイロジー

Practice  choose one of the sentences and tell your partner the news. React with a statement (S) or a rhetorical question (R).
A. Fred won $20,000 at the poker tournament.(R)
Who would have thought/expected he could win?
B. Derek and Charlotte just got engaged after dating for ten years.(S)
I never would've thought they got engaged.
C. Cari just opened his own patisserie in the city.
D. Maurice has been elected mayor.
E. Mimi just started law school.
F.  Julie is going to do volunteer work in Haiti.
A. Jim bought a very expensive sports car.
B. Petra has decided to join the circus and become a trapeze artist.
C. Mari just got promoted to manager of her office.
D. Georgie has an audition for a Hollywood movie.
E. Shane just got his helicopter pilot's license.
F.  Gemma's band is going to be on TV.

react
patisserie
be elected mayor       elected          mayor
do volunteer work
a trapeze artist          trapeze
got promoted            promoted
an audition                audition




















0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿